Who else is still riding the "I can't believe it's 2016!" train?!? I honestly have no idea where 2015 went, but I'm so excited to see what the new year has up her sleeve! With so many new adventures on the horizon, new people to meet, and new beginnings in the making, I thought that it would be the perfect time to share a little bit about the gal behind the camera! Of course, you already know that I adore telling love stories and am a wedding photographer based in Madison, WI serving the Midwest and beyond. You also probably know that I recently married my very best friend, Bryan, who also happens to be my second shooter and main assistant. You may even know that we have the cutest little kitty, Gracie, and are practically obsessed with her. But here are some things that you may not know about me...
1. I am an only child. And it's only been me and my mom since I was six months old so yes, we're VERY close. In fact, I can't go more than two days without talking to her on the phone, and we go shopping pretty much every Saturday...ask my husband. Love you Mom!
2. I LOVE to sing. In the car, in the shower, pretty much anywhere, anytime. I have vivid memories of myself as a child lining up my stuff animals on the floor and singing to them with my toothbrush microphone. One of my best friends, Jenna, and I used to spend our long summer days watching MTV and singing along to the music videos of Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and B*Witched (yes, B*Witched!). And I was involved in Choir and Show Choir all through middle and high school. For as long as I can remember, I always wanted to be a famous singer when I grew up. Buuuuut, I think that ship has sailed. I'm still waiting for Taylor Swift to call me and ask if I can be a back-up singer though...
3. I work full-time as a nurse. This is my passion (besides singing and photography of course!). I work at the University Hospital in Madison, WI in the Interventional Radiology department, and I LOVE my job! Yes, you may be thinking, "But nursing and photography are so not related!" And to some extent, I agree. Nursing tends to be very left-brain driven in that it involves logic and critical thinking, whereas photography is very right-brain driven, based mostly on creativity and imagination. However, I believe nursing is more about compassion and caring for others. Nursing and photography share two of my favorite things...love and people.
4. I have a serious addiction to blankets. It's a real problem, people. I cannot go into HomeGoods or Target without buying a new blanket. The colors, the patterns, the textures...I just love them! I'm always trying to justify my need for a new blanket like, "Well we could really use a new fur blanket for our couch, and it can double as a photo prop!" There is definitely no shortage of blankets at our house! It must be an adult thing. Don't even get me started on pillows!
5. I HATE working out. Soooooo much. The thought of going to the gym and running on a treadmill just kills me. Don't get me wrong, I do stay active. I just prefer to do so by playing tennis or volleyball. Or going to a Zumba class. Or going shopping for hours. That's considered exercise right?!
6. Smell is definitely my strongest sense. Everybody knows that your sense of smell is strongly linked to memory, more than your other senses. Smell is also highly emotive, which explains a lot because I am a very emotional person, thinking more often with my heart rather than my head. I have an insane and rather embarrassing collection of perfumes, lotions, and body sprays. I cannot buy shampoo or body wash with smelling it first. When you come to our house, I always have a candle from Bath & Body Works burning. And it drives my husband NUTS because it will literally take me 15 minutes to pick out a laundry detergent at the store because I have to smell all of them first! Fresh linen, lavender blossom, spring renewal...too many options! Yes, I know I'm weird.
7. My biggest fear is clowns. Just thinking about them makes me cringe...with their long, floppy shoes and big, red noses. I'm fairly certain I was traumatized as a child when a clown approached me at a parade and I freaked out. I also watched the movie IT when I was younger, and that just really did it for me. To this day, I am still secretly scared of storm drains.
8. My guilty pleasure is The Bachelor. Monday nights in the Helt household is a BIG deal, people! It is, hands down, my all-time favorite show. Nothing beats a glass of wine, sweat pants, and bunch of dramatic girls all competing for the same guy. I watched the first episode of The Bachelorette when it premiered back in 2003 (go Trista & Ryan!) and haven't been able to stop since. Some of my favorite memories from college involved my best girl friends congregating around the television on Monday nights talking about how cute the bachelor was or how ugly the outfits were. "He gave the First Impression rose to HER?!?!" Oh yes, so many memories. Sure, the premise of the show stinks, but it sure does make for some good entertainment!
9. I am a neat freak. TO. THE. MAX. I most definitely got this quality from my mother. However, I actually really enjoy cleaning...it's very therapeutic for me. Nothing feels better than a clean house! Just throw on some jams and I go to town sweeping, vacuuming, dusting, scrubbing, and so on. My least favorite chore? Loading and unloading the dishwasher. I save that for the hubs.
10. I was once in a commercial. A legit commercial that actually aired on TV! I laugh about it now because it was a topic of discussion when me and my husband first started dating. He brought it up several times as a way to start a conversation with me, but I knew he was just flirting with me. So smooth! Check out the commercial here! But don't blink or you might miss me...I'm the one with the pink scrub top and I appear twice...whoop whoop!
There you have it! Now you know all about me and we're pretty much BFFs! Do you have a fun little fact about yourself? Tell me about it below!